REC was incorporated in 1938 by rural residents. Orginally when REC was founded it had approximately 100 members but today REC has over 2,600 miles of distribution lines serving power to more than 10,000 meters. The service area includes parts of Garvin, McClain, Grady, Stephens and Carter counties in south central Oklahoma. REC is governed by a nine-member board of trustees, all of whom are members of the Cooperative. REC is dedicated to providing dependable electric power, service and programs to enhance the quality of life in rural areas.